Using a blended learning approach, we offer SPIKES ‘plus’, an evidence-based consultation framework along with other key communication skills and behaviours and test these on real examples drawn from your practice, in a safe and supportive learning environment.
Our training methods include:
- E-learning: (up to 90 minutes) evidence, skills and preparation
- 2-day experiential workshop: application, practice and feedback
- Transfer to practice: resources, reflection support
- Update and refresh evidence-based skills and principles for effective communication
- Discuss challenges such as breaking bad news, advanced care planning, handling anger or distress, difficult conversations with colleagues
- Practice key skills and principles, receive constructive feedback and test out alternative strategies
- Take away communication strategies that can be transferred to any interpersonal or professional context
Senior health and social care staff - band 6 (NHS) equivalent and above.
Dates and links
Register for the Advanced Communication Skills Training workshop.
This workshop draws from human factors, assertiveness and emotional intelligence literature as well as a comprehensive communication skills evidence base.
The workshop will offer a practical approach to fostering collaborative working relationships, and tackling difficulties when they arise.
- Getting your message heard
- Understanding different working styles
- Achieving win/win solutions
- Saying ‘No’
Discuss the challenges in communicating with colleagues and explore the roots of conflict
- Recognise different working styles and the ways in which these can impact on our working relationships
- Discover “non –violent communication”; skills for hearing, understanding, making requests and saying no
- Demonstrate a 3 step process for raising issues and concerns with colleagues
All health and social care professionals. Band 5 and above.
Dates and links to register
This blended learning programme aims to develop and support trainers and educators in health care with knowledge and skills for delivering advanced communication and other soft skills training using evidence-based experiential teaching methods.
What will be covered?
- Core principles underpinning adult, professional learning
- Experiential learning: the challenges in teaching any ‘soft skills’ to experienced professionals?
- Key considerations for course design and delivery when using experiential methods
- Facilitation skills for creating and maintaining psychological safety and maximising learning
- Setting up and managing role play and other experiential teaching methods
- Working with group dynamic issues
- Applications: we will be accepting applications from now until October 2022.
- eLearning module: if your application is successful, we will send you a link for this. The module takes approximately 2 to 3 hours and will need to be completed by 21 October 2022 to progress to the next stage of the programme.
- Online sessions: each meeting will have a theme and in preparation we will be posting material on our online learning platform that can be accessed at a time that suits you. The meetings will include discussion on the presentations, reading and reflective activities and each participant will be asked to contribute a microteach session on a chosen theme or topic. This part of the programme requires 80% attendance to progress to the workshop stage. The online session dates are:
- 27 October 2022, 5pm to 7pm
- 17 November 2022, 5pm to 7pm
- 8 December 2022, 5pm to 7pm
- 5 January 2023, 5pm to 7pm
- 26 January 2023, 5pm to 7pm
- Observation: all participants will have the opportunity to observe day 1 of a 2-day advanced communications skills training course (ACST) facilitated by a Maguire trainer. A variety of dates are available and can be accessed via Zoom. This element is not mandatory but is strongly recommended.
- 3-day workshop: 14, 15 and 16 February 2023 at The Christie NHS Trust Manchester.
- Assessment: A written assignment discussing key skills and principles for facilitation.
What else is included?
- Access to our Advanced Communication Skills eLearning module to refresh key communication skills and principles.
- Observation of a 2-day advanced communication skills workshop delivered by accredited Maguire trainers.
- The Maguire Handbook: a summary of communication skills research conducted worldwide over 40 years with a comprehensive guide to evidence-based communication skills and strategies.
- Maguire TTT Manual with sample course programmes, advice on course content and step-by-step guides to experiential teaching methods.
Who should apply?
You will have attended an advanced communication skills training course in the last 5 years or will have an equivalent qualification (e.g. Masters module, Counselling qualification etc.).
You will have a professional background in health or social care.
You will already be an experienced trainer or educator and this will form a significant part of your role.
You will be able to commit to approximately 20 hours online flexible study over 3 to 4 months and a 3-day workshop in Manchester followed by a written assessment.
You can apply for the Train the Trainer course on SurveyMonkey.
Bespoke workshops, online programmes and blended learning packages can be tailored to a variety of topics such as:
- Compassionate communication
- Breaking bad news
- Advance care planning
- Managing conflict
- Team working
- Difficult conversations with colleagues
We offer supervision, coaching, mentoring and mediation to individuals and organisations.
Please contact the team for more information: email@example.com