Areas of subspecialties covered include: haemolymphoid, skin, soft tissue, gynaecological, urological, gastro-intestinal, endocrine, and thoracic.
Specimens are derived from three main sources:
- Biopsies and surgical specimens from theatres, wards and outpatients at The Christie
- Specimens from other North West hospitals for patients referred to our clinical, surgical and medical oncologists
- Problematic cases referred from across the region and further afield for expert opinion and consultation
Our histopathology service also provides support to surgery in cases of pseudomyxoma peritoneii - we are one of only two designated National Specialist centres in the country that treat this condition. We also provide support to the Neuroendocrine Tumour Service, which has received European Neuroendocrine Tumour Society Centre of Excellence award.
In our main laboratory, immunohistochemistry and in-situ hybridisation facilities are available. We offer an extensive panel of immunohistochemistry stains to cover tumours and tumourous conditions of the aforementioned subspecialties. We also offer a frozen section service. Histopathology has close links with our Oncology Cytogenetics laboratory.
In addition to conventional cytogenetics, fluorescent in-situ hybridisation (FISH) is performed in cases of non-Hodgkin lymphomas, soft tissue sarcomas, and breast carcinomas.
You can read more in our Histopathology user guide.
Test request forms
- Dr. Bipasha Chakrabarty - MD, FRCPath (Gastrointestinal tract Pathology, Peritoneal Surface Tumours/PMP & Appendiceal tumours, Anal cancers and GEP NETs)
- Dr Sudha Desai - MD, FRCPath (Gynae, Sarcoma)
- Dr. Lia P. Menasce - MSc, PhD, MRCPath (Haematopathology, Thyroid and H&N)
- Dr. Jonathan H. Shanks - BSc, MD, FRCPath (Uropathology)
- Dr. Patrick Shenjere - MBChB, MMed(Histopath), FRCPath, FEBP (Skin Tumours, Sarcoma, and Haematopathology)
- Dr Pedro Oliveira - MD, ARCPath (Urolopathology, GI, Lung, Thyroid and H&N)
- Dr Paula Hyder - MBChB, BSc, FRCPath (Uropathology, Gynae, Sarcoma, Skin)
- Dr Anshuman Chaturvedi - MBBS, MD (Pathology), FRCPath, MSc (Haematopathology) (Haematopathology, Thoracic (incl. lung), Thyroid & H&N)
- Dr Angelia Ong – MB BCh, BAO, FRCPath (Gastrointestinal tract Pathology, Haematopathology, Thoracic (incl. lung)
- General Enquiries: Pathology Office, Kelly Beardmore/Emma Herring,
- Tel: 0161 446 8540
- Email: Pathology.Office@christie.nhs.uk
- Karen Graham, Histopathology Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Angela Cramer, Breast Tumour Receptors Manager, email@example.com (please contact for testing request cards)