The pituitary gland is the master gland of the body. It secretes many hormones that stimulate other glands to produce different types of hormones.
Some of the main issues you can have with the pituitary gland include:
- Pituitary tumours, including those that make hormones such as:
- Acromegaly (Growth Hormone-releasing pituitary tumours)
- Cushing's disease (ACTH-releasing pituitary tumours)
- Prolactinoma (prolactin-releasing pituitary tumours)
- Hypopituitarism (loss of pituitary hormones usually as a result of non functioning pituitary tumours or as a result of radiotherapy)