Closing date of role
Thursday 28 March 2024
Purpose of role
The role of the volunteer is to enhance the patient’s experience of The Christie Pharmacy by providing services of a non-nursing, non-medical nature and to free up the time of the paid members of staff at all levels to enable them to carry out the duties which they are qualified to do.
Scope of role
Outpatients department – department 22, The Christie
Responsibility for role
Outpatients management, marketing and engagement officer/co-ordinator, volunteers
Weekdays minimum of 3 hours per week, maximum of 10 hours per week (maximum hours also includes other volunteering commitments with The Christie).
- Management of volunteers' policy
- Health and safety policy
- Local risk assessment(s)
- Uniform and workwear policy and code of appearance
- Volunteer agreement
Volunteers are required to:
- Be registered volunteers who are DBS checked and cleared
- Wear identity badges, volunteer lanyard and volunteer polo shirt.
- Conform to Trust policies and procedures that they are made aware of
- Report any accident/untoward occurrences to a member of staff
- Comply with training provided
- Duties will include:
- Greeting patients and visitors on arrivals, introducing yourself in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Assisting patients in using the patient flow kiosks to check in.
- Signposting patients and visitors to other parts of the hospital, in particular the new outpatients department.
- Dealing with general enquiries in a professional and consistent manner, offering support when required.
- Provide an overview of processes within the outpatients department to patients.
- On occasion, be able to deal with distressed patients and/or their relatives in a sensitive and confidential manner, and refer to an appropriate member of staff
- Sitting with patients who are on their own and would like some company, should the patient consent.
- Actively approaching patients and relatives, and acting as a listening ear.
- Helping patients and their relatives to understand the systems in the department and where they should wait.
- Assisting staff in delivering best patient care.
- To be aware whilst in the department of any general housekeeping or health and safety issues that may arise, and liaise with staff appropriately to maintain safety.
- Do no other duties than those agreed in these guidelines
- Outpatients department staff will:
- Supervise the work of the volunteers
- Be able to deal with any queries/problems/concerns from volunteers
- Liaise with the marketing and engagement department as required
- Include volunteer activity in their risk assessments
- Offer a local induction programme
- Carry out an annual review to check how your role is going
- The marketing and engagement department will:
- Register volunteers on behalf of The Christie
- Arrange training appropriate to volunteers’ needs
- Maintain records of volunteers’ mandatory training
- Liaise with the clinic’s staff and volunteers
- Be available to deal with any matters of concerns for volunteers
- Provide a clear description of your role
- To complete online mandatory training as specified by the marketing and engagement department
- To complete additional training as required – to be provided by the departmental staff
Flu is a key factor in NHS winter pressures. It impacts on those who become ill, the NHS services that provide direct care as a result, and on the wider health and social care system that supports people in at risk groups. We encourage volunteers to be vaccinated to help reduce the spread of unplanned hospital admissions and pressure on the NHS.
Equality, diversity, and inclusion
At The Christie, we aim to deliver healthcare services that are accessible and inclusive to everyone. We want our teams to reflect the diversity of the patients and communities we serve and therefore welcome applications from people of all backgrounds and identities.
To ensure The Christie is a place characterised by dignity and inclusivity, we ask that volunteers show equal respect to all staff, patients, visitors, and to each other regardless of their background or ability.