- Jane Booker
- Sharon Capper
- Catherine Pettersen
- Helen Johnson
- Steve Booth
Speciality / areas of expertise
The Macmillan Urology Nursing team covers the 5 urological malignancies (prostate, bladder, penile, testicular and kidney). The nurses work alongside the urological surgeons, clinical and medical oncologists specialising in these diseases.
As a supra network service provider the team provide specialised support and information to men with penile and testicular cancers.
The team work within the Christie alongside consultants (5 surgeons, 7 clinical oncologists, 2 medical oncologists) supporting patients through treatment decision making, throughout the treatment, and following treatment.
They also work externally, as peer reviewers, nurse representatives at the Urology sub group of the GM&CC network, a professional advisor to Prostate Cancer UK, and a reviewer for the International Journal of Urological Nursing.
- We are partners in studies with the University of Aberystwyth on the psychological impact of penile cancer.
- We are also contributors to the Leeds University study on patient experience of penile cancer.
- The Macmillan Urology Clinical Nurse Specialists are leaders for and contributors to the GM&CC network audits on patient experiences.
- You can find our published papers in leading international nursing journals.
- Development of the first Christie based telephone follow up service for patients who have undergone radiotherapy (started in 1999)
- Facilitated early discharge of surgical patients providing telephone support and development of ad hoc clinic for physical assessment as required.
- Developed a nurse led prostate follow up clinic in the community, allowing patients from Greater Manchester to be followed up and supported closer to where they live.
- The Macmillan Urology CNSs have between 15 and 30 years of cancer nursing experience each.
- They have all worked in surgical oncology in the past and have had each had specialist nursing experience for between 5 and 15 year
- Representative for urology on the Patient Information Prescription Project
- Core member of The Christie Survivorship Project
- Trained in the assessment and treatment of erectile dysfunction, attend psychosexual counselling supervision
- Provide teaching for pre and post graduate nurses
- Facilitate workshops for medical students on communication skills