Sit up as much as possible and place the mouthpiece of the incentive spirometer in your mouth. Make sure you make a good seal over the mouthpiece with your lips.
- Breathe out (exhale) normally.
- Breathe in (inhale) slowly - the white piece in the incentive spirometer will rise as you breathe in.
- Try to get this piece to rise as high as you can.
- Usually, there is a marker placed by your physiotherapist as a goal to aim towards. This will be changed regularly to help you improve.
- A yellow ball will also rise. Aim to keep the ball in the middle of the chamber while you breathe in.
- If you breathe in too fast, the ball will shoot to the top.
- If you breathe in too slowly, the ball will stay at the bottom.
Your physio will advise you how regularly you need to use your spirometer