You can refer patients for the following reasons:
- Psychiatric assessments for inpatients and outpatients.
- Patients where a second opinion on Mental Capacity is needed or who require a routine application for Deprivation of Liberty Safeguards (An initial assessment on capacity should always be performed by the primary decision maker. This will be the team for medical decisions or a social worker / CDT for decisions regarding social care. If it is still not clear whether the patient has capacity, please refer to psycho oncology for a second opinion)
- Cognitive behavioural therapy
- Psycho-sexual counselling
- Clinical Psychology
- Psycho-Oncology and dementia
We do not accept referrals for Christie clinic patients.
We also do not accept GP referrals directly into our team.
- Please complete the Psycho-Oncology Service Referral form.
- Please complete all sections to avoid delays in processing the referral.
- Where possible, tick the appropriate box(es) for counselling/psychotherapy, psychiatric assessment, advice on Management or dementia/delirium,
- If you do not have access to the referral form you can Fax us a letter outlining the reasons for referral
- Return the form/letter to the clinical secretary Anne Lyons-Vernon by internal mail or fax (fax number: 0161 446 8103).
- The secretarial office is open from 8.00am - 5.00pm Monday to Friday.
- If the faxed referral is urgent, please also telephone on 0161 446 3681 to confirm that it has been received and is prioritised.
- For urgent referrals/enquiries you can contact us on Bleep 12739If you are uncertain what type of help is needed, you are welcome to speak to a member of the team to discuss a possible referral (Tel 0161 446 3681).
- The Psycho-Oncology team holds weekly Triage meetings to allocate referrals, review patients' progress, and decide which care pathway or intervention is most appropriate for the patient. The meetings are held at 8-45 until 9.45 a.m. on Tuesday mornings. Please contact the clinical secretary on 0161 446 3681 for venue details.
- Referrers wishing to discuss a patent's psychological problems are welcome to attend these weekly meetings.
Out of Hours Advice
For out of hours psychiatric emergencies The Christie doctor should telephone the On-call Psychiatry SpR at Wythenshawe Hospital. You need to specify if the patient is under 65 years (general adult psychiatry SpR) or aged 65 or over (old age psychiatry SpR)