Below you will find resources which have been created to educate these groups.
Information leaflets for patients
Patients who are at risk of MSCC should be given an information leaflet; this leaflet helps the doctor, nurse, physiotherapist or other health professional discuss the possible early warning signs of MSCC.
- Spinal Cord Compression: What to look out for [PDF, 87KB]
Further information is also available for patients who have a confirmed diagnosis of MSCC.
Education for health professionals
'No logo' information leaflets for organisations
We also offer MSCC patient information leaflets with no logos on for organisations to use with their own logo on. Please note: you can only use these documents on the condition that The Christie NHS Foundation Trust is acknowledged as the creator.
- Spinal Cord Compression: What to look out for (no logo) [PDF, 362 KB]
- Spinal Cord Compression: what it means and how it can be treated (no logo) [PDF, 362 KB]
‘Red Flag’ alert cards
The MSCC Coordinator service and the local Acute Oncology teams in each hospital offer training sessions to staff, we also distribute ‘Red Flag’ alert cards which highlight the warning signs of MSCC.
- Red Flag cards
- Red Flag card briefing paper
- 'Developing an early alert system for MSCC: Red Flag credit cards' (Sept 2013) Turnpenney et al. Primary Health Care Research & Development. - Published article
If you and your team require support with MSCC teaching, please contact us via the ‘Get in touch’ link.
All patients should be referred to the rehabilitation team, the aim of rehabilitation is to improve quality of life, maintain or increase functional independence, prolong life by preventing complications and return patients to their home wherever possible.
There is a named MSCC Rehabilitation AHP Link person within each hospital and community service, they should be contacted for advice on coordinating rehabilitation. The directory is available on our MSCC guidelines for professionals page.
- GAIN guidelines for the Rehabilitation of Patients with MSCC: Assessment and Care Provision by Occupational Therapists and Physiotherapists
National MSCC Guidelines
The following links will allow you to access the national guidance which has helped shape local policy in Manchester Cancer.