Find out more about the role of the acute oncology team.
The Acute oncology outreach service is a nurse-led service that supports ward nurses and doctors who are caring for acutely ill in-patients. AOO nurses are all highly experienced, senior trained nurses who have also undergone advanced training in life support. We take patient referrals throughout the 24 hour period, 365 days of the year.
The purpose of service is to:
- Assess acutely ill / deteriorating patients on wards, and advise the patient’s team on monitoring, investigations and management plans. The aim is to stabilise and improve patients at ward level and so avoid the need for admission to Critical Care.
- Ensure timely referral and admission to a Critical Care bed for those patients who require a higher level of monitoring or support than can be provided at general ward level.
- Follow up patients who have been transferred from Critical Care to ward areas.
- Share our knowledge and skills with ward staff, both at the bedside and through formal education programmes within the Trust. We provide training to nurses, allied health professionals and junior doctors, with an emphasis on subjects related to the acutely ill patient and tracheostomy care.
- Our AO nurses also support the 24/7 telephone advice service.
Who refers to the service?
Any member of the team nurse, who has assessed the patient, can refer them for Outreach support. Visitors and patients can also request an outreach nurse to see them through the ward team.
- Senior Nurse - firstname.lastname@example.org
The bed management team manage and maintain patient flow, enabling efficient and effective utilisation of the Trust’s bed stock.
The Christie Hotline
The Christie Hotline is a 24 hour nurse-led telephone service. It is available to Christie patients, carers and healthcare professionals for advice or management on the side effects and complications of cancer treatments.
The Christie Hotline -0161 446 3658
A mobile and text service is also available to provide support to our patients who are communication and speech impaired. Please let your medical team know if you require this specialist contact number.
Please be aware that all calls are recorded for training and monitoring purposes.
The bed management team are currently based within the planned admissions and transfer suite in department 25.
- Bed management office - Call the main switchboard on 0161 446 3000