The information centre is run in partnership with Macmillan Cancer Support. It is staffed by cancer information specialists. There is a wide range of booklets available on all aspects of cancer. The centre also offers free confidential advice for anyone affected by cancer on any cancer related issues including:
- Information, advice and emotional support on treatment
- Side effects and supportive care
- Talking to children
- Complementary therapy services
- Smoking cessation services
- Benefits advice service
- Counselling and support groups
- Health promotion
- Travel insurance
- Wig fitting services
- Style me sessions
Opening times vary, please ring to check on 0161 918 7745. Alternatively, call the main reception on 0161 918 7700.
Drop-in and telephone support service
Free confidential information and support is available to anyone affected by cancer. Offering time to listen, time to talk and time to make sense of it all. This includes information and advice about:
- Talking to children when an adult has cancer.
- Counselling and support groups.
- Community support.
- Coping with life after treatment, including information on exercise and walking groups.
- Travel insurance.
Information is available from The Christie, Macmillan and a wide range of charities and organisations to support you and your family through diagnosis, treatment and recovery. We also provide information about screening, cancer awareness, and healthy living in a range of languages and formats including CDs and DVDs; easy-read booklets and books suitable for children.
Services we offer
In the information centre, we also offer:
- A wig service including the sale of hats and headscarves and scalp care advice.
- A free parking scheme
- Benefits advice sessions
- Job and employment support services
- Mind wellbeing sessions
- A free hand-care drop in
- Referrals to local support groups and schemes.
Please call in to ask any questions, to pick up information or just to have a chat.
Volunteers make an invaluable contribution here at The Christie at Oldham. If you are interested in volunteering with us or at any of The Christie NHS Foundation Trust sites, please see our volunteers page for more information and to find a role.