The Christie charity supports a specialist service for teenage and young adults (TYA). In June 2014 our amazing supporters contributed £10 million of the £12 million needed to build our new state of the art Palatine Treatment Centre. The centre includes our haematology and transplant inpatient unit, paediatric waiting area and consultation room, as well as our TYA Unit.
Dr Mike Leahy, Consultant Medical Oncologist, said:
Teenage cancer patients have a unique set of needs and this superb new centre enables us to provide first class treatment and care alongside the social, holistic and rehabilitation support they also require.
The rooms in the new unit are designed specifically for teenagers and young people. They are calm, comfortable spaces with the needs of all our young patients in mind.
The centre houses both our TYA and haematology and transplant services as around a third of our young patient have blood-related cancers. This specialist approach is unique in terms of cancer care across the country.
Our new TYA Unit:
- Will treat around 200 new patients each year.
- Is ready to meet the demand of an increase in the number of patients we treat. We expect the intake of paediatric patients to triple or quadruple in number and the number of teenage and young adults to double.
- Houses our outpatient services including a day-case unit, waiting area and five state of the art consultation rooms.
- Has 18 state of the art and specialist inpatient rooms, music room, gym, complementary therapy room and various social spaces.
- Includes relatives’ accommodation, staff rooms and a dedicated research lab.
Our new unit will benefit many young cancer patients and would not have been possible without our amazing supporters.
We now need to continue to support services on the TYA Unit so that staff can continue to offer high quality care and support to our patients.
These services include:
- The TYA Activity fund – to support social events and activities.
- Funding additional TYA Staff Including a music therapist, social workers, art therapist, complementary therapist and play therapist for our young patients.
- Support for on going medical costs.
- Funding research into TYA specific cancers.
If you would like more information about our TYA unit, please contact us on 0161 446 3988 or e-mail email@example.com.