At The Christie, you’ll have access to your own unique personal Total Reward Statement.
It shows you the value of your employment package and highlights important benefits - some of which will have a monetary value and others that will not. The information will include basic pay, incentives and local employee benefits (such as health & wellbeing and support for employees).
If you’re a member of the NHS Pension Scheme, you’ll be provided with an overview of your pension benefits.
If you have access to ESR Employee Self Service you can access your Total Reward Statement at work using your ESR user account or via the Total Reward website.
Benefits outlined in your Total Reward Statement
This summarises the payments you have received and any pension contributions made by your employer for the financial year 2013/2014. If you don’t understand the meaning of a payment name outlined in your payment breakdown, please refer to the NHS TRS Information website or contact your employer
Annual leave entitlement
When you join, you’ll be entitled to 27 days annual leave, plus bank holidays (pro rata if you work part time). This rises to 29 days after 5 years' service and 33 days after 10 years' service. Previous service in the NHS counts towards your annual leave entitlement, regardless of any breaks in service. Please note that if you transferred into the organisation, alternative leave arrangements may apply.
- Childcare vouchers - We recognise how difficult it can be to achieve a balanced working life, particularly with the high cost of childcare. To help with these costs you can convert a proportion of your salary into Fideliti childcare vouchers which allow you to make savings on your childcare costs. Childcare vouchers can be used to pay for all types of registered childcare, including holiday clubs, before and after school clubs, child-minders, nannies, nurseries and play scheme. As a working parent you’re entitled to exchange up to £55 per week, equivalent to £243 per month, of your gross salary for childcare vouchers. This part of your salary is exempt from Tax and National Insurance Contributions*, which means you can make savings each year on childcare costs.
- Interest free loan for public transport season tickets - An interest free loan is available to you if you wish to purchase an annual season ticket for bus, metrolink or rail (or combinations). We’ll pay the bill for you and deduct the money over 10 equal instalments.
- Discounted Metrolink annual season ticket - Manchester’s tram service, Metrolink, gives our employees a 10% discount off the price of an annual season ticket.
- Credit Union - We’ve developed a partnership with Manchester Credit Union, a not-for-profit financial co-operative serving people who live or work in Manchester, Tameside, Trafford, Rochdale, Bury and the High Peak. Credit unions exist solely to provide affordable financial services to their members. They offer savings, loans and a whole range of other financial services, and are run by their members, for their members. Their range of innovative financial products includes ethical savings, affordable loans, Christmas club accounts and money guidance sessions. www.manchestercreditunion.co.uk
- Health Service Discounts - This website offers you numerous ways of saving money on shopping, holidays and financial services. - www.healthservicediscounts.com
- Local discounts for The Christie staff - We have a range of locally negotiated discounts, which you can explore on our intranet.
Health and Wellbeing
- Cycle to Work Scheme - We operate a bike to work scheme with Cyclescheme as our approved partners. www.cyclescheme.co.uk
- Walking to work - Walking for health is a national body promoting and setting the standards for led health walks. It is a joint initiative between natural England and the British Heart Foundation. You can plan your walking route at www.walkit.com
- Complimentary therapy - Hot stone massage, Indian head massage, facial massage, reflexology and aromatherapy are all available to staff and volunteers at the rate of £10 for a 30-minute appointment. Vouchers for some free treatments are also available for staff referred by Occupational Health.
- Civil Services Sports Council (CSSC) - You can join the Civil Services Sports Council (CSSC), the largest provider of corporate leisure and fitness facilities in the UK. Hundreds of events, activities and benefits are organised every year. - www.cssc.co.uk
- Gym membership discounts - We’ve negotiated discounts at a range of gyms and spas across the region.
- Flexible working - Once you’ve been with us for more than 6 months, you can make an application for flexible working for any reason. The aim is to support an effective work/life balance, as well as the needs of the service. Examples of flexible working include job sharing, reduced hours, part time working and working from home. Where possible, requests will be accommodated.
- Buying annual leave policy - We offer the option to purchase up to five days additional annual leave (pro rata for part time staff). The cost of the additional leave purchased is spread over a 12-month period. This leave must be applied for prior to the annual leave year it is to be taken in and all requests will be considered fairly and accommodated where possible.
- Employee Assistance Programme - We have an EAP confidential advice, information and counselling service that is available free of charge to all employees and their immediate family members. The service covers legal and financial advice together with counselling. You can call the EAP 24 hours a day, seven days a week for expert independent advice and guidance on a wide range of subjects. The service is operated by Oakdale, an independent specialist provider of employee wellbeing services, and they can be contacted on 0800 027 7844
- Staff advisors - Contact any of our trained Staff Advisers, who will listen to your concerns in confidence, and provide advice in line with the Trust’s Respect at Work (harassment & bullying) policy. This informal support is intended to help you to think through the options on how to resolve an issue; you decide on the action you wish to take.
Reward and Recognition
- You Made a Difference Award - Our monthly award recognises and rewards members of staff and volunteers who have made a difference to the lives of patients and visitors, or to their colleagues at The Christie. Each month one member of staff or a volunteer will be recognised and rewarded for their contribution to The Christie.
- Annual staff achievement awards - This is when we celebrate the most outstanding individual and team achievements of the year.
- Long service awards - We make sure people who have given us so much over the years get due recognition. The number of years of recognised service starts at 20 years and continues to be recognised at 10-yearly intervals, up to a maximum of 40 years’ service. Awards are made in the form of vouchers, based on completed service achieved as at 31st March in any given year.
*Salary sacrifice scheme
HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) defines a salary sacrifice arrangement as an agreement between an employer and an employee where the employee gives up some of their contractual entitlement to cash earnings in return for increased entitlements to non-cash benefits.
Salary sacrifice arrangements can lower the amount of tax and National insurance contributions (NIC's) deducted from the employee and paid to HMRC. In some instances, a salary sacrifice arrangement is financially beneficial to both employer and employee, dependent on the specific package and whether the non-cash benefits are wholly or partly exempt from tax and NIC's