A Christmas gift
Clinical trial patient Nigel and his wife Julie presented Dr Kim Linton with a beautiful hand crafted advent calendar for The Lymphoma Team just in time for advent!
We are delighted with the thoughtful gift which Julie has been making since August and it will have pride of place in our office for everyone to enjoy. Thank you to Nigel and Julie and a Merry Christmas to all our patients and their families!
In November Professor Radford was announced as winner of the ‘Lifetime Achievement’ category at the Greater Manchester Clinical Research Awards. He has led many practice-changing trials in lymphoma and is an internationally recognised leader in the field so as a team we are extremely pleased he was recognised in this way.
Professor Radford was humbled and regarded the award as ‘flying the flag for all the high impact clinical research going on at the Christie and our partners, including other trusts, The University of Manchester and Cancer Research UK'.
- We are very happy to announce that on the 17th November our team were named winners of Research Team Of The Year at the Greater Manchester Clinical Research Awards 2016!
- On the 22nd of October 2016 The BREVITY trial along with our other projects ADAPT and BARD were presented at ISHL (International Symposium of Hodgkin lymphoma) in Cologne by Professor Radford and Dr Adam Gibb.
- In November our team was the 1st recruiter in the UK for the SGN35.023 trial. This study looks at comparing treatment with the combination of rituximab and bendamustine chemotherapy against the combination of rituximab and bendamustine with added brentuximab.
- The Lymphoma Group were the 1st recruiter in the world for the BI 1206 CRUK clinical trial. BI 1206 is a type of biological therapy called an antibody. It works by recognising and attaching to a particular protein called CD32b. This protein is found on some cancer cells in some types of lymphoma and leukaemia. Laboratory studies show that by blocking the CD32b protein BI 1206 could stop cancer cells from growing and dividing. Researchers want to find out if BI 1206 can help people with B cell non Hodgkin lymphoma and chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL).
- Our team has now been re-designated as a Bloodwise TAP (Trials Acceleration Programme) Centre, making us 1 of 13 centres nationally.
- Our clinical research nurse Andrea Whitmore successfully completed a skin biopsy course and will now be carrying out biopsies for our lymphoma patients when required. This will be highly beneficial as it prevents the need to use other services, reduces patient waiting times and will be more convenient to our patients overall. Well done Andrea!
- The Lymphoma Group were the UK's top recruiter for the Polatuzumab Vedotin trial (GO29365). This study was looking at Polatuzumab Vedotin in combination with Bendamustine and Rituximab or Obinutuzumab.
- The Lymphoma Group were the UK's first recruiter and second global recruiter for the JAVELIN Hodgkin lymphoma trial which is a study looking at Avelumab in patients with previously treated advanced stage Hodgkin lymphoma.