Keeping active will improve your physical health and your psychological wellbeing. The Physiotherapists will talk to you prior to discharge about what activities are safe to do and when.
There are many services both within The Christie and around the North West to help you make the first steps into an active lifestyle.
Visit the information centre (department 3), to collect information about The Christie services. These include:
- Be Active Stay Active – a useful guide on exercising during and after treatment
- Macmillan Move More – a Macmillan guide to becoming more active that includes an exercise DVD and a physical activity booklet
- Maggie’s – check out their timetable to see what classes they have on this week https://www.maggiescentres.org/our-centres/maggies-manchester/whats-on/
North West Services
- Manchester City Council has a list of leisure activities and advice accessible through their website www.manchester.gov.uk/helpandsupportmanchester (Click on health and well-being).
- Macmillan Active Manchester offers a range of activities such as involvement in the Macmillan Allotment and classes such as Tai Chi and dance. Visit https://www.manchestergiants.com/community/macmillan-active/ for more information.
- Macmillan also run other physical activity services, you can search to see what is available in your area here https://www.macmillan.org.uk/in-your-area/choose-location.html#175014