An Introduction to Cancer: Anatomy, Biology and Treatments
Tuesday 27th & Wednesday 28th November 2018
This is a two day course by David O'Halloran which presents a basic understanding of Cancer. Through a series of presentations, the speaker describes:
- How cancer develops
- The commonest types of cancer
- Cancer detection and treatment modalities
The sessions are supplemented by quizzes to aid understanding and group interactive question and answer sessions to keep everyone engaged.
- Introduction to cells, tissues and cancer
- Classification of cancer
- The spread of cancer
- Overview of treatment options
- Female reproductive system & tumours (including breast)
- Oral cavity, large intestine oncology, testicular and prostate cancer
- Circulatory system and related oncology
- Respiratory system & tumours
Upon completion of this course delegates will understand:
- Why cancer can be found in any places in the body
- Why knowledge of different cell types helps identify where certain cancers are more likely
- Why cancer has the ability to move and grow away from the primary site of origin
- The methods of spread such as local invasion, lymphatic and blood spread, seeding & transcoelomic spread
- How disease progression will influence pain management
- How tumours can be classified with specific consideration of staging and grading systems
- Likely treatment options for a patient with cancer
- Anatomy and oncology related specific tumour sites
This two day course is specifically designed for staff new to oncology. Suitable for research, admin support, industry, CTU, hospice and any other staff groups who require an overview and understanding of the anatomy, biology and treatments of cancer.
This course is also suitable for those who have already attended the one day treatments course by David O'Halloran.
This course evaluates to a consistently excellent standard.
Delegates may also be interested in David's one day course: Cancer Treatments - An Introduction : https://catrmts.eventbrite.com/?aff=eb
Please email education.events@Christie.nhs.uk or call 0161 918 7409