This blended learning programme aims to develop and support trainers and educators in health care with knowledge and skills for delivering advanced communication and other soft skills training using evidence-based experiential teaching methods.
What will be covered?
- Core principles underpinning adult, professional learning
- Experiential learning: the challenges in teaching any ‘soft skills’ to experienced professionals?
- Key considerations for course design and delivery when using experiential methods
- Facilitation skills for creating and maintaining psychological safety and maximising learning
- Setting up and managing role play and other experiential teaching methods
- Working with group dynamic issues
- Applications: we will be accepting applications from now until October 2023.
- eLearning module: if your application is successful, we will send you a link for this. The module takes approximately 2 to 3 hours and will need to be completed by 27 October 2023 to progress to the next stage of the programme.
- Online sessions: each meeting will have a theme and in preparation we will be posting material on our online learning platform that can be accessed at a time that suits you. The meetings will include discussion on the presentations, reading and reflective activities and each participant will be asked to contribute a microteach session on a chosen theme or topic. This part of the programme requires 80% attendance to progress to the workshop stage. The online session dates are:
- 2 November 2023, 5pm to 7pm
- 16 November 2023, 5pm to 7pm
- 7 December 2023, 5pm to 7pm
- 4 January 2024, 5pm to 7pm
- 25 January 2024, 5pm to 7pm
- Observation: all participants will have the opportunity to observe day 1 of a 2-day advanced communications skills training course (ACST) facilitated by a Maguire trainer. A variety of dates are available and can be accessed via Zoom. This element is not mandatory but is strongly recommended.
- 3-day workshop: 20, 21and 22 February 2024 at The Christie NHS Foundation Trust Manchester.
- Assessment: A written assignment discussing key skills and principles for facilitation.
What else is included?
- Access to our Advanced Communication Skills eLearning module to refresh key communication skills and principles.
- Observation of a 2-day advanced communication skills workshop delivered by accredited Maguire trainers.
- The Maguire Handbook: a summary of communication skills research conducted worldwide over 40 years with a comprehensive guide to evidence-based communication skills and strategies.
- Maguire TTT Manual with sample course programmes, advice on course content and step-by-step guides to experiential teaching methods.
Who should apply?
You will have attended an advanced communication skills training course in the last 5 years or will have an equivalent qualification (e.g. Masters module, Counselling qualification etc.).
You will have a professional background in health or social care.
You will already be an experienced trainer or educator and this will form a significant part of your role.
You will be able to commit to approximately 20 hours online flexible study over 3 to 4 months and a 3-day workshop in Manchester followed by a written assessment.
You can apply for the Train the Trainer course on SurveyMonkey.
Last updated: November 2023