Understanding medical terms

{
}
Or find it alphabetically:

S

Serotonin

Serotonin is a chemical in the blood and is popularly thought to be a contributor to feelings of well-being and happiness.  Approximately 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut with the other 10% produced in the brain.  It is broken down in the liver to 5-HIAA.

Somatostatin/Somatostatin analogue

Somatostatin is a hormone that regulates (control and slows down) several other hormones in the endocrine system.  When a patient does not have enough natural somatostatin because of a hormone-producing tumour, a drug called a somatostatin analogue can be prescribed (examples would be octreotide or lanreotide).

Somatostatinoma

Extremely rare NET that usually occurs in the pancreas or parts of the small bowel and may produce extra somatostatin.

;