At The Christie, we treat more than 44,000 patients a year. Our volunteers make an invaluable contribution to the enhancement of patient experience and care and are regarded as an important part of The Christie team.
We need dedicated, caring and enthusiastic volunteers who have a passion for helping people and making a difference. We offer a range of meaningful volunteering opportunities within the hospital and The Christie charity, ranging from office support to recreational activities.
Our volunteers do not undertake duties which might displace paid employees, but rather free up the time of paid staff and greatly enhance patients’ experience of The Christie by welcoming them and making them feel at ease.
As a volunteer you will:
- go through a thorough recruitment, selection and screening process to ensure that you are well placed, inducted, trained and supported
- have the opportunity to make a difference to the lives of patients
- access training before you commence your volunteering placement
- take part in an annual review with your line manager to check everything is going well
- meet like-minded individuals
- enhance your skills
- have the opportunity to attend volunteer coffee mornings and annual events
- The minimum age for all volunteers is 16 – there is no upwards age limit, but you should be fit and well enough to complete the tasks outlined in your role description
- We ask for a commitment of at least 6 months, completing at least one volunteer session per week
It is important to think carefully if you can commit your time for 6 months, particularly if you are applying to gain some experience and would like The Trust to confirm that you have carried this out. This is outlined in our Volunteer Agreement document which is signed by the volunteer at the time of recruitment.
Please note that volunteering is not work experience. Our volunteers do not carry out or shadow any clinical work or gain any hands-on care experience. If you are interested in a short term work experience placement please contact Sara.Aljaizani@christie.nhs.uk